About the OBRA
Who is the Outer Banks Restaurant Association?
More than just an industry support organization, the Outer Banks Restaurant Association represents a diverse and exceptionally talented community famous for culinary creativity and warm southern hospitality. As an association, our goals are many but focus on promoting the (formerly) best kept secret about The Outer Banks, our fantastic dining options. Our beautiful strip of sand has always been a mecca for beach-goers and nature enthusiasts, but our gifted chefs and inspired entrepreneurs are showing our visitors – one plate at a time – that our culinary creations are worth the trip on their own!
Organizationally, the core of the OBRA is made up of restaurant owners and managers, but the strength of the association lies in its diversity of affiliates and associate members. Of course many of our top suppliers are represented, as well as a solid sampling of our media and advertising partners, but many do not realize that anyone can join as an Associate member. You need only to be passionate about food and willing to support our efforts to further the culinary excellence on the Outer Banks. To be a Restaurant level member you do have to operate an existing restaurant in Dare County, (Coastal/Lower) Currituck County.
As you might expect, the OBRA is a 501(c)(6) non-profit organization. To help achieve our goals, we also partner with – and contribute to – other local non-profits and national philanthropies like The Beach Food Pantry, Albemarle Food Bank, Relay for Life, March of Dimes, and the Outer Banks Community Foundation among others. Additionally, the OBRA also offers scholarships through our OBRA Culinary Education Scholarship Fund. We are also developing partnerships in learning with Dare and Currituck County Schools culinary programs.
If you have not been a member in the past, or recent past, or are a new restaurant to the area, we highly encourage you to join the Outer Banks Restaurant Association and begin reaping the benefits of an Outer Banks Restaurant Association membership. Scroll down a bit and click on the links provided for our Membership Application and online payment gateway. Of course you can simply mail a check for membership along with your application.
So, to recap… The OBRA is your organization for celebrating food and fun on the Outer Banks and we look forward to you joining us!
What can the Outer Banks Restaurant Association do for you as a member?
- Increase the visibility of your restaurant as part of the Outer Banks Restaurant Association (OBRA) year-round marketing efforts.
- Benefit from the revenue provided by our events…Taste of The Beach, Fall Restaurant Week, and Spring Restaurant Week.
- Expand your exposure on the high traffic OBRA web site and Facebook group
- Enjoy invaluable food service industry networking.
- Improve your brand through the philanthropic efforts of our Association.
- Influence marketing decisions at the regional level through our Association’s seat on the Dare County Tourism Board.
- Amaze the world as an exclusive participant in the Outer Banks’ premier culinary extravaganza, OBX Taste of The Beach Weekend. (Recognized as a Top 10 Wine & Seafood Festival in the nation, awarded by Coastal Living magazine.)
- Access to free ServSafe exam proctoring service.
- Advertising credits available from select Associate members.
- Benefits through Affiliate Membership in North Carolina Restaurant Association and National Restaurant Association Membership such as:
- 20% discount on ServSafe products and required exams.
- Discounts on services, insurance, credit card processing, music licensing, and more.
- Access to restaurant industry legal counsel.Marketing & Sales
There has never been a better time to join the restaurant association. Sign up today for your chance to be part of all of these things and the exciting new opportunities being created everyday at the OBRA.
Read our new Membership Benefits Guide to familiarize yourself with all the benefits of becoming a member of OBRA.
What are the membership dues per year?
The OBRA membership dues for Restaurants or Associate members for one year (Sept-Sept) are $200 if paid by check or $206.30 if paying online which includes cc fees that OBRA incurs when you charge your dues.
We also offer a reduced rate of $75 for one year (Sept-Sept) for restaurants with 25 seats or less, if paid by check. If paid online the dues will cost $77.57 including the online handling fee.
New-17-18 OBRA Application DOWNLOAD
AND MAIL IT IN with your PAYMENT
mail in a check with your application made out to
OBRA, P.O. Box 2283, KDH, NC 27948
OR join online…
- Click the PayPal button below and pay for your membership
- Download and fill out the Application Form and mail or scan and email it to us
When are the meetings?
OBRA meets monthly – usually on the first Wednesday – September through May (we are all so busy in the summer!) We meet at a different restaurant each month – where our host provides light refreshments – and we discuss upcoming events, marketing, membership, community issues and pending state and local legislation that may affect our industry.
Click on this link to view all the meeting dates and locations for 2017-2018 … meeting-dates-17-18.
2017-2018 – OFFICERS
Dan Lewis, Coastal Provisions Oyster Bar & Wine Bar cafe
Chuck Read, Sysco Foods
Jason Whitley, PowerPay Restaurant Solutions
Marketing Manager & Acting Secretary
Quinn Capps, OBRA/